- 2021 Canada Summer Games
- Canada 150 Heritage Days
- Canada Day
- Canal Days
- Canal Days Program
- Canal Days T-Shirt
- Canal Days Concert Series - H.H. Knoll L…
- Festival Attractions
- Festival Shuttle
- Getting Here
- Museum Attractions
- Request for Quote
- Canal Days FAQ
- Canal Days Gallery
- Contact Us
- Christmas in Port Colborne
- Community Bulletin
- Easter Eggstravaganza
- Moonlight Masquerade
- Niagara 2021 Canada Summer Games
- New Year's Eve
- Remembrance Day
- Vale Day
- Volunteer Sign-Up
August 3, 4, 5 & 6, 2018 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Tour donation required of $15 per adult & $5 per child (ages 6-18). Children under 5 are Free.
Visit Port Colborne’s historic lighthouses that have aided navigation for the past 115 years! The 12.8 m square tower of the inner lighthouse was constructed in 1903 followed by the 11 m tall foghorn/outer lighthouse in 1928. See the lakers, ocean going vessels and tall ships up close as they navigate the Welland Canal at Lake Erie. Participants will enjoy a boat ride to the main lighthouse and outer range light (as permitted) near the entrance to the Welland Canal. A guided tour will be provided by volunteers of the Friends of Port Colborne Lighthouses.
To celebrate this 40th Annual Canal Days Festival the 40th person to register for the tours each day receives a free tour and commemorative lighthouse gift. Additionally anyone born in 1978, 40 years ago, and presenting proper ID receives a free tour.
Sign up for tours at the Sugarloaf Marina Pavilion - 3 Marina Road,
Port Colborne, ON 905-835-6644.
For more information:
Erno Rossi, Chair
Or, visit http://friendsoftheportcolbornelighthouses.weebly.com/
About the Port Colborne Lighthouses
Port Colborne is the southern terminus of the Welland Canal, which links Lakes Erie and Ontario, allowing shipping to bypass Niagara Falls. Port Weller serves as the northern terminus. Today, the canal is an important part of the St. Lawrence Seaway system, which allows ocean-going ships to travel to and from all five of the Great Lakes.
The first lighthouse was constructed in Port Colborne in 1834. The light was replaced in 1903 by a light on the breakwall, now known as the Inner Light. In 1926, the Outer Light (Fog Horn) was built on the North South breakwall. Today, both lights guide vessels through the canal. A tunnel runs under the north-south wall to the Fog Horn and allowed the keeper to travel safely to and from the Fog Horn.
The Welland Canal Company was formed in January 1824 to build and manage the canal with construction starting in November 30, 1824. Shipping on the canal was able to start on Nov 30, 1829.The canal was a success by allowing large ships to reach the Upper Lakes while avoiding Niagara Falls.
Local wetlands are nesting areas for waterfowl and stopping points for Tundra Swans. Significant numbers of gulls, terns and cormorants nest on the shoreline near Nickel Beach. The nearby eastern breakwall has been designated as an Important Bird Area (IBA) because of its colonies of Common Terns, Ring-billed Gulls, Greater Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Double-crested Cormorants and Black-crowned Night-Herons. Local stands of Carolinian forest are popular with songbirds.
Great flocks of geese, swans, buffleheads, bluebills, canvasbacks, redheads, squaw ducks, widgeon etc use Gravelly Bay, Port Colborne’s Bay, during the spring and fall migration. Save Our Lighthouses will offer birding trips to the lighthouses in season. For more information call:
Erno Rossi MA Chair, Save Our Lighthouses Tel: 905-835-8051 email@example.com www.whitedeath.com
Join our Facebook Group at Save the Port Colborne Lighthouses
Donations are greatly appreciated and can be made by cheque payable to “ Save Our Lighthouses” mailed to Erno Rossi at 147 Tennessee Ave. Port Colborne, ON Canada L3K 2R8 or in person or on line at TD Canada Trust Branch: 3464, Account Number: 0412-5208160.